The AP is the older of the two entity options and is more rigid in its operation because it is structurally similar to a corporation and is largely subject to the same provisions of the Texas Business Organizations Code (“TBOC”) that apply to for-profit businesses. The owners of a PA, called members, form the entity and elect directors to govern and operate the entity. As in the case of a corporation, directors must appoint at least one president and one secretary as officers to manage the day-to-day operations of the corporation. An important limitation in the operation of the PA is the tbOC requirement that directors must be members and the chair must be a director. If there is concern that external parties may be involved in your practice, this can be an advantage of the PA in preventing this influence and involvement. A limited liability company, also known as an LLC, is a business entity whose owners are not personally liable for the company`s debts. Multi-Member (P)LLC: A Multi-Member (P)LLC is a (P)LLC in which there are two or more members (owners). By default, a multi-member (P) LLC is treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes. As a result, the Multi-Member (P) LLC will file Form 1065, U.S.

Partnership Income Tax Return, a separate income tax return. Members of (P) LLC will then receive a form called K-1 to report each member`s share of (P) LLC`s income, losses, deductions and credits. The amounts on the K-1 will be used to prepare Form 1040, Individual Income Tax Return for each member (P) LLC. In summary, unlike individual members` (P) LLCs, there is a separate tax return that must be prepared for multi-member (P) LCLs and filed with the IRS. If you`re wondering what a K-1 is, think of it as a W-2 issued by an employer to report the employee`s income on their individual tax return. Finally, it is very rare that I would recommend that an independent contractor, such as a real estate agent or broker, form a multi-member (P) LLC. Each person`s situation is unique, but in general, if you are an independent contractor such as a real estate agent, broker or insurance agent, I would usually refer you to a professional limited liability company, if your state allows it, otherwise, form a limited liability company. The (P)LLC offers the greatest flexibility from a tax point of view. Once you break even to implement S Corporation`s tax strategy, you can make a choice of S Corporation. Contrary to what you read or what is written on Form 2553, chosen by a small company by a small company, you can make the choice of the S Corporation at any time (not just within the first 75 days after the formation of the (P) LLC).

As for when you should form the (P)LLC, I think you should start one as soon as possible in the year you predicted a $40,000 profit. The reason for this is that you must have formed the (P) LLC to make the choice of S Corporation. For example, suppose you earn $60,000 in commissions/earnings in a calendar year. If you created your (P) LLC in January of that calendar year, all of your commissions will be subject to S Corporation`s tax treatment. If you wait until October of this calendar year, only your commissions from October to December will be treated as an S company. In other words, the P (LLC) is your ticket to the S Corporation Tax Savings Club. An LLC is a more common and flexible business unit that is not limited to a specific profession. In an LLC, the owners are not personally liable for the debts of the company, just like a corporation. However, LLCs do not need a board of directors or shareholders. The income from an LLC “goes” to the owners, which means that there is no corporate income tax and the income is taxed only once.

In most states, an LLC can be formed and operated by one or more people. I get asked this question all the time, and there`s a huge amount of misinformation on the internet written by people who don`t fully understand the tax implications of these different types of entities. The first thing I want you to understand is that each type of entity has legal and tax implications. For example, if you form a limited liability company (LLC), it will still be an LLC in the eyes of the law. However, the same LLC can be treated as a sole proprietor, partnership, S corporation, or C corporation from a tax perspective. Clear as mud? Stay with me, I will clarify it by explaining each type of entity. An AP is an entity designed for companies that provide a professional service. In some jurisdictions, only certain service professions can form a PA. Common occupations that use the DESIGNATION PA include: A professional corporation can be either a company C or a company S. As a C company, the company pays corporate taxes and also files its own tax returns.

On the other hand, it can be an S company where its profits and losses are transferred to shareholders who pay their taxes with their personal tax returns. A single-member (P)LLC is a (P)LLC in which there is only one member (owner). By default, a single-member (P) LLC is considered an “unreasoned entity” by the IRS for tax treatment purposes. In other words, for tax purposes, the one-person LLC (P) is taxed in exactly the same way as a sole proprietor. A sole proprietorship reports any business income or loss on their personal income tax return by completing Schedule C, Profit or Loss of a Corporation Filed with Form 1040, United States. . . .